Thursday, February 23, 2012

Al Delory


I was saddened to learn about the recent death of Al DeLory. When my former law partner and I established our fledgling law practice many years ago, Al was one of our first clients (#7 to be exact). He did not seem to care that we were young and inexperienced. We of course were thrilled that we were working with the producer of all those incredible Glen Campbell records.

It was only later that I learned about Al’s role as one of the keyboard players in the famous Wrecking Crew-working with everyone from the Beach Boys to Phil Spector to countless others. It was only this week that I learned that Al wrote “Mr. Custer,” one of the staples of my childhood. He created so much music that he was once surprised to get a check from Europe for a song he didn’t remember writing.

I am sure that Al was a little bitter about the way record companies treated staff producers back in his day or about how when he moved to Nashville in the early ‘80’s there was no real demand for the kind of glorious arrangements he created. However, I was always impressed by the fact that instead of grousing or resting on his laurels, he created a salsa band which brought this music to Nashville and beyond way before it attracted the kind of cultural cache it has today.

So, rest in peace Al. It was an honor to have worked with you.