Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving Blog



I just looked up and realized that I have been back in my solo practice for 10 years this month. This follows 4 years where I was associated with a firm, 9 years before that when I was first in solo practice and about 6 years when I was in my first partnership with my friend Ken Levitan.  The last ten years have gone by in a blink of an eye. Seriously. It’s shocking to me that I have been in practice for 29 years. I have gone from being one of the young lawyers to being one of the old guys.

These last 10 years have been interesting, challenging and ultimately rewarding-although I don’t always acknowledge it.  A lot of the things that worked during my first years of solo practice no longer work. A lot of things work better. The traditional models of the entertainment world are gone. For a lot of artists, that’s a good thing. For everybody else, I think they are still feeling their way through this period of immense change; but it all feels really positive.

So, in the season of Thanksgiving I would like to sincerely give thanks to my clients, friends, family and other attorneys, all of whom have supported me while I try to continue the mission of this law practice—to help people deal with complicated issues both in and around the music business.  I want to get  better and smarter at doing this and I look forward to another 29 years.

No comments: