Friday, September 12, 2014

a Few Words About Jerry Cupit



I am saddened to learn of the death of my friend Jerry Cupit.  I know that Jerry had been sick for a long time but in the back of my mind I figured that if anyone could find a way to beat his illness, it would be Jerry.  He was a true Renaissance man and I don’t use that term lightly.  Jerry was a successful songwriter, music publisher, record producer, independent label owner, author of at least two books, an inventor (with at least one patent to his name) and a serial entrepreneur. 

About 15 years ago when the music industry first began this current slide, Jerry invented an innovative system of radio promotion and internet distribution which could have revolutionized the music industry if his funding hadn’t disappeared.  I was slow to realize it at the time but in hindsight,  his ideas were brilliant.

I had some great adventures with Jerry—from top ten records to a few bizarre lawsuits. I learned a lot about human ingenuity, creativity and generosity from him.  I will miss him. 

No comments: