Monday, November 20, 2017

Orville Almon, Jr.

I wanted to acknowledge the passing of Orville Almon, Jr.  There are very few people I consider to be true mentors in this world but Orville would be at the top of the list.  I learned so much about entertainment law and the business of law from him both as the person  on the other end  of the phone line  and during the 4 years I worked at his law firm,  Zumwalt, Almon & Hayes.  As another lawyer friend remarked, "He taught a lot of us how to dot the i's and cross the t's." That is so true.   I would venture to say that the majority of my "stock" forms came from Orville (and I'm sure I'm not the alone in this).   When I worked with Orville I was impressed by  his discipline.  He came into the office at nearly the same time every day and just cranked.  That's how you get stuff done.

More importantly, Orville was kind.  I noticed this first as a young lawyer.  He was friendly and courteous and never seemed to be pursuing an agenda – other than to get the deal finished.  When we spoke,  we had real conversations. I am sure we were on opposite sides of the political spectrum but since he was a vet, he earned the right to his opinions. 

Unfortunately, I had not spoken to Orville in a while.  I think the last thing we worked on together was a dispute between two equally eccentric clients and I kind of enjoyed picturing Orville's frustration with the inanity of the whole thing.


He was truly one of the greats  and I will miss him.

No comments: